The Cathedral of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Zagreb Cathedral is the most monumental and the most impressive Gothic-style sacral building southeast of the Alps. Its ground plan, with slender cross-ribbed arches within three polygonal apses with narrow windows, resembles French architectural pattern (ex. the one in Troyes); the details ofits subsequently added naves (of equal height) correspond to the building patterns of modern German architecture; imaginative sculptures, on the other hand, reflect influence of Czech schools. All this indicates not only early introducation of Gothic style to Croatia's north and internationalization of art, but also the importance of Zagreb Bishopric and the status and power of its bishops in those days. From the very beginning, the cathedral was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin mary, i.e. to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Feast of the Assumption). Although Hungarian King St. Stephen is always mentioned as the primary patron-saint, he is actually the second one.
The Church of St. Peter
St. Peter's Church is located in Vlaska Street, in itsnewer part towards Kvaternik Square. Its front looks at Vlaska Street, while its back is in Petrova Street, which was named after the church. St. Anthony's Church used tobe on this place. It is first mentioned in the 15th century. After it crumbled, the baroque-style St.Peter's Church was built in 1770. Since then it was renovated and extended on several occasions, and its present apperance dates from 1931.
This late historicist church was built in 1902. It was designed by Zagreb architect Janko Holjac and it makes a perfect example of neo-baroque sacral architecture. It was built owing to the influence and a donation of 60,000 forints by Bishop Juraj Haulik. In addition to this second biggest church in Zagreb (after the cathedral), a monastery was also built. The basilica is located in Lower Town's central part. Since no zoning on micro-level has been performed, the overall impression of the building is somewhat impaired. Its broad nave is covered with a barel-like valut and is illuminated through high side-cahapels. Its plastic classicist-baroque decoration is in harmony with the modern spatial concept characterized by spaciousness and illumination. The church's front is highlighted with square belltowers which, in their upper part, become octagonal and are covered with domes. Domestic masters furnished the church and the main altar was designed by Hermann Bollé. In 1941, Pope Pius XII granted the church the honorary title of basilica minor.
Clock Tower and the Town Loggia
The City Clock Tower is all what remains of the small church of Saint Sebastian (Croatian: Crvca Sveti Sebastijan), built in 1422 to thank Saint Sebastian for allegedly protecting the city from the plague. Over the entrance into the tower, the statues of the Christ (on top) and of Saint Sebastian (underneath) are from Nicolo Fiorentino. To the right of the church’s door is the pillory with remains of the original chains.
Next to the clock tower is the Town Loggia (Croatian: Gradska Loza). The Loggia was built in 1311, but the current one is from the 15th century. It was the half-function public object, the protection and stamping-ground and at the same times the courtrooms. This open courtroom served as a tribunal where all those who have violated the law were condemned, punished and disgraced in front of the fellow-citizens. From its stairs, the most important news was being announced on the Croatian language to the citizens. The Loggia has a lot of reliefs on the inside walls, some of which were destroyed in 1932 when locals tried to erase the images of Italian influence in the area.
The Cathedral of St. Lawrence
The Cathedral of St. Lawrence (Croatian: Katedrala Sv.Lovre) is a Roman Catholic three-nave basilica constructed inRomanesque-Gothic. It serves now as the most imposing monument in the city of Trogir. It was built on thefoundations of an early-Christian cathedral destroyed in the 12th centuryduring the sack of the town by the Saracens in 1123. The present building wasbegun in 1213 and finished during the 17th century. Like the older one, it isalso dedicated to St. Lawrence but it is better knownas St. John’s Cathedral . Most of the work in theconstruction of the cathedral took place in the 13th century, being mostly completed in 1251. That means the building is mainly in Romanesque style, whilst the vault inside is Gothic as it was built during the 15th century, in Mannerist style. Inside of the cathedral there are: octagonal stone pulpit from the 13th century; Gothic chorus benches; ciborium from the 14th century; paintings of the local and Italian masters; Gothic chapel of St.Jeronim from 1438; and chapel of the Blessed Ivan Ursini, the most beautiful renaissance monument in Dalmatia, the work of Nicolo Fiorentino from the 15th century.
The city of Trogir Museum
This towns ‘pearl’ is located in the palace Garagnin – Fanfogna, with characteristics of Romanesque and Baroque styles. The museum’s collections show the political, cultural and artistic development of the town from its foundation till the 20th century. A side from the famous library of the family Garagnin – Fanfogna, the museum also holds the stone collection of monuments and sculptures from ancient times to Baroque and the Cata Dujsin – Ribar gallery with paintings of Croatian artists. Three works of art, made by the famous sculptor Ivan Duknovic are held in the town museum of Trogir. One of these works is the statue of an arm carrier of Cipiko.
City Hall/Duke’s Palace
The City Hall, or the Duke’s Palace is situated on the spot where the church of St. Stjepan was. The Duke’s palace was the expression of the political and economic strength of the city in the first half of the 15th century. The Rector lived in the Palace, and the Small and Great Councils were convened there. In the 17th century it was transformed into a theater with stalls. The theater was destroyed in the fire in 1890 when it was rebuilt into the front having a Renaissance style.The City Hall is known for the Gothic staircase in the courtyard, and well preserved winged lion of St. Mark on the wall of the building. Various fragments and coats of arms of families from Trogir and other cities are built into the walls.
St Blaise Church
The Church of St Blaise is Dubrovnik’s most beloved church, partly because St Blaise is the patron saint of Dubrovnik. Most festivals in Dubrovnik begin or end or have something to do with this church, conveniently located at the eastern end of Stradun. The Church of St Blaise is Dubrovnik’s most beloved church, partly because St Blaise is the patron saint of Dubrovnik. Most festivals in Dubrovnik begin or end or have something to do with this church, conveniently located at the eastern end of Stradun.
St Dominic Church is one of the largest and the most representative Gothic buildings on the East Adriatic. It is located at the eastern part of The City, close to the inner Ploce Gate. The Dominican Monastery acquired its present day form in the 14th century perfectly fitting into the city walls as a part of the defense complex. Various elements of the Romanesque, Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance styles combine here in perfect harmony. The monastery complex received its final form in the 15th century, when it was completed with a sacristy, capitulary hall and cloister. The outstandingly beautiful cloister was dedicated to St Sebastian, constructed by local builders.
The Rector’s Palace
One of the most significant monuments of profane architecture on the Croatian coast, the Rector’s Palace, was the administrative center of the Dubrovnik Republic. Its style is basically Gothic, with the Renaissance and Baroque reconstructions.Today the Rector’s Palace houses the Cultural-historic Department of the Dubrovnik Museum with exhibition halls arranged to display the original setting with antique furniture and objects for daily use, as well as paintings by local and Italian masters.
Church of St. Ignatius Loyola
The Church of St. Ignatius - or the Jesuits, as the people of Dubrovnik call it - was modeled after Rome's Chiesa del Gesu, the mother church of the Jesuit order and is the work of the famed Jesuit architect and painter Andrea Pozzo, who worked on the church from 1699 to 1703 and who also worked for the order building Jesuit churches throughout Europe. The church was taken as a model of Church of San Ignazio in Rome and completed in 1725 but opened in 1729 and decorated by Spanish artist Gaetano Garcia. The church's bell is said to be the oldest in Dubrovnik. In order to build the Collegium and the Church, a large number of houses in the oldest part of the city had to be demolished. This complex is considered to be the finest Baroque set of buildings in Dubrovnik. It is thus not surprising that theatre directors often use this venue as an open-air stage.