Krakow Music Academy
The Academy of Music in Krakow is one of the oldest music higher education units in Polandand in Europe. It was founded as a Conservatory by the Music Society in Krakow – an organization that came into being owing to the efforts of Duchess Marcelina Czartoryska and Wladysław Zelenski in February 1888. The building is located on the historic Old Town of Krakow. The school offers the following concert venues: Florianka Recital Hall, Concert Hall and Chamber Hall
This vast church was founded in 1689 on avery tight lot within the Old Town walls. Much of the impact of the facade is lost owing tothe narrow squeeze, but the church has endured as one of the supreme examples of the Baroque in Krakow. It was designed by the incredibly prolific Dutch architect Tylman van Gameren, known as ‘Gamerski’ amongst the Poles. The church was dedicated to a recently beatified professor of the university, Jan Kanty. The entire interior has been impeccably restored, and it is unlikely that it will need further rescue work for many years to come.
Widely regarded as Krakow’s finest Gothic church, St Catherine’s also boasts the finest acoustics of anyhouse of worship in the city. Mass is held several times a day, and insummertime especially concerts by Polish and international ensembles can besavored. The church itself has many fine features. The vast mannerist tomb of Spytek Jordan is a sight to behold, and don’t miss the chance to wander into the adjoining cloisters, where a series offrescoes were recently revealed to superb effect.
The lop-sided glory of St. Mary’s is one of the most photographed sites in all Krakow. According to legend, two brothers built the towers, and one brother deliberately built higher in a bid for greater glory. When the tricked sibling returned to town and discovered the betrayal, he did away with his brother in afit of rage (the grisly knife still hangs in the Cloth Hall). After that lovely story, we should add that St. Mary’s gained most of her present form following the Tatar raid of themid-thirteenth century. The church was to be a proud symbol of the merchants’ prestige. The jewel in the crown came many years later with Veit Stoss’s tar piece - still in situ - which contains some two hundred sculpted figures. Legends abound with this building. Besides the embittered brothers, the northern tower is the home of the Hejnal trumpet call.
Wieliczka Salt Mines
The Saint Kinga’s Chapel of Wieliczka Salt Mines is the most impressive and opulent of underground temples. The chamber,carved in a block of salt, has been a place of worship since 1896. The chapelornamentation has been created over a period of more than a hundred years. From late 19th century until 1963, the sculpting was conducted by self-taught miners-sculptors, Józef and Tomasz Markowski and Antoni Wyrodek. Their work is continued by the new generation of miners, who create new sculpting projects. Sculptures which decorate the chapel wall sare New Testament scenes. Closest to the stairs, on the right, the Jesus Before Herod and Massacre of the Innocents reliefs are to be seen, and above them, a Nativity scene. Slightly further, the Chapel of Madonna and Child, with the depiction of God the Father atop, is to be seen, as well as the Flight Into Egypt relief, and above it, Christ Falling Under the Cross.