St. Mark's Church
A Zagreb landmark, St. Mark's Church marks the heart of the Upper Town. The once-Romanesque, now Neo-Gothic church has a beautiful roof tiled in the pattern of the coats of arms of the Kingdom of Croatia, Dalmatia and Slavonia, andthe city of Zagreb. The interior was redesigned in the 1930s, with the exterior having been refreshed in the late 1800s.
The Main Square
The wide Austro-Hungarian styled Jelacic Square (Trg Bana Jelacica) is the busy heart of Zagreb. It is completely pedestrianised, although many tram lines cross the square.
In the middle of the square a monumental horse statue of ban Josip Jelacic can be found. Its history dates back to 1866. The surrounding buildings represent several architectural styles (Classicism, Secession, Modernism).
Zagreb’s Cathedral Zagreb's main landmark is the Cathedral of the Assumption. The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located in the Kaptol neighbourhood of the upper town. This neo-Gothic church was built in the 19th century .
The first sightI came upon in Zagreb is Nikola Subic Zrinski Square,a long, narrow park just a block beyond the train station. Part of a series of seven parks forming a horseshoe shape in the Old Town, the park is home to a music pavilion and busts of famous Croatians, in addition to lots of greenery.
Angiolina Park - Villa Angiolina
There are several sites that Opatija uses for the outdoor singing including the Villa Angiolina stairs and those in the pedestrian zone in the city center.
St. Jakob's Church
St. Jacob's Church was built in the early 15th century as a colony for the Benedictine monks. This abbey is the origin for Opatija's name. "Abbey" translates to "Opatija" in Croatian. However, very little has remained of its original appearance, as it was adapted in 1506, renovated at the end of the 18th century and expanded in the 1930s. A copy of the relief “Pieta” by the esteemed Croatian sculptor Ivan Meštrović, depicting the dying Christ with his mother Mary and Mary Magdalene, is held in the church.
Church of the Annunciation
As early as 1906 the bishop of Trieste, Franjo Nagl, laid the foundation stone for the neo-Romanesque edifice with its pronounced green cupola that can be seen from afar, but once again the departure of Austria postponed the completion of the building that was designed by architect Karl Seidl.